Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:44:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        nash@mcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, taob@io.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW documentation

Alex Nash writes:
> > >     I'm setting up a FreeBSD-based firewall here, and my original plan
> > > was to go with IPFW in the kernel.  However, it seems there isn't any
> > > recent documentation for it (both the man page and the handbook entry
> > > are out of date).
> >
> > I thought Alex Nash recently updated both? Have you tried our WWW
> > pages to get the latest version?
>
> :(  Unfortunately not.  When I submitted my ipfw changes into -current,
> my understanding was that 2.1.5 was about 2 weeks from being solidified.
> The dilemma was whether I should risk bringing in mass changes into
> -stable.  After discussing this with Poul, I decided against doing so.

I *sort of* agree.  The problem is that both the man pages and the
documentation we have is *wrong* and out of date.  There have been
*many* changes made to both the kernel and user-land code, but there
has been *NO* documentation of it.

>From /sys/netinet/ip_fw.c
revision 1.14.4.7
date: 1996/05/06 20:32:01;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -14
Merge from head.

>From ipfw.8
revision 1.7.4.6
date: 1996/02/26 15:26:59;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +194 -29
Update to lates reality.

We've got a problem here.

I consider this a *bug*, and a critical one at that, especially given
our potential customer base.  The people most likely to use 2.1.5 are
ISP's and such, who have both a need and a desire for the functionality
of IPFW.

> -stable has all the latest bug fixes, but lacks the updated
> documentation.  I'm sitting on some handbook changes because I didn't
> want the handbook to *seem* up to date, but really only cover -current.

What about the man-pages & the stuff in /etc?  Are they correct and up
to date?  Even if the handbook stuff isn't correct, the on-line stuff
should at least be somewhat correct.

> If anyone has suggestions on where we should take -stable, I'd be
> happy to hear them.  If it looks like 2.1.5 will be delayed long
> enough, we can see about bringing -stable up to the level of -current.

We have until Tuesday to get things at least somewhat 'sane'.  Please
can you take the time to document what exists in -stable!?!?

Nate