Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:18:17 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@juniper.net>
To:        Ennio Pozzetti <pozzetti@nsa.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DL 380/G5 with P400 smartarray

Ennio Pozzetti wrote:
> We are interesting in running Freebsd on a DL380/G5 with P400 Smartarray
> SAS controller.
>
> There is no P400 support on freebsd 6.1 hardware list, but we noticed
> that on the driver ciss.c revision 1.64.2.3 2006/05/10 (6.1 STABLE)
> looks like there is support for P400 and P400i.
> Does anyone succeeded at running 6.1 STABLE on DL380/G5 with P400 support ?
>
> regards

You should forward this to freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org.

I've got a couple of DL380/G5 machines that are very happy running
FreeBSD 6.X. One of them I know has a P400 Smartarray SAS controller. It
seems to work pretty well. My only problem so far is that a kernel with
PAE panics when it tries to initialize the Broadcom network device. My
options then became

1) run without PAE and only use 4Gig of memory instead of the full 16

2) install another ether device and comment out the Broadcom device

3) install the AMD64 version of FreeBSD which does not need PAE to see
all the memory.

Josef

--
FreeBSD 6.1         |
Josef Grosch        | Help, help, I'm being repressed!