Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:15:09 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Mark Jones <mjones@mco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 at 10:12:12 -0400, Mark Jones wrote:
[snip..]
> If I create a new txt file in pico and save it. Then reload that
> file into pico the first line will be proceeded with a group of
> capital "U"'s. If I edit and existing file it will add the UUUU s.
> But it only does that if I add characters to the file. If I only
> delete them then the UUUUs are not added.   The more editing the
> more UUUUs. But only on the first line are the UUUUs placed.
>
> I have recompiles bash, kernel, pico. I recall running into this
> once before but I can't remember how to fix it.

Install a newer version of pine (in order to get a newer pico).  It's
a bug with one of the early pine 4.0x versions of pico (4.01 maybe?).
Upgrading to a newer version will fix it.

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@corp.au.triax.com  ,-._|\  FreeBSD
work:  Triax Internet Services  http://www.triax.com/ /      \ The