Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:07:01 +0600
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFC request - ata drives and bootcode routines (Was: no devsw...)

Hello, stable people!

Finaly i'v found what is a source on "no devsw (majdev=0
bootdev=0xa0400000)" message! It is realy related to MFC of ata-disk.c
(removing old wd (d_bmaj=0 !) compatibility entry).

So, lett me explain how I undestand it works today:

1) boot2 loader pass absolutely correct from it's point of view
bootdev=0xa0400000 (magic=a, adaptor=0, slise=4, type=0 == TYPE_AD).

2) sys/i386/i386/autoconf.c makes devsw(makebdev(0,0))
reference wich is completaly wrong 'cose we haven't more d_bmaj==0 entry for
ata code! It is a source of the message is at line 284. This message has
been removed long time ago by commit to CURRENT:

Revision 1.147 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Thu Jun 15
20:30:51 2000 UTC (11 months, 3 weeks ago) by phk
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.146: +2 -4 lines
Diff to previous 1.146 (colored)

Add disk_enumerate() for finding names of disks.  Vinum and libh will
need this RSN.

Remove a pointless warning in the root device locating code.

Remove the "wd" compatibility name from the "ad" driver.

WARNING: If you have not updated to use /dev/wd* in your /etc/fstab
and modern bootblocks, it would be a very good idea to do so BEFORE
you upgrade your kernel.

Do we realy have "modern bootblocks" and/or disk_enumerate() routines to
find a normal rootdev without help of autoconf's setroot() routine?

I see my machine is booting normaly, I think we have it already.

If so, please MFC 1.147 revision changes to RELENG_4.

Best Regards,

Serg N. Voronkov.