Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:55:04 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info

David Greenman wrote:

> >>    I don't know what list you are looking at, but the download list that
> >> I was
> >>looking at did not include SCO, Unixware or any other Unix variant except
> >>Linux.
> >
> >This is the list.
> >
> >NDIS2, NDIS3, NDIS4 and NDIS5 drivers
> >                              Novell Netware* Client 3.11, 3.12
> >                              Novell Netware Server 4.1x, 5
> >                              SunSoft Solaris*
> >                              SCO Unix 3, 5
> >                              SCO UnixWare* 2, 7, OpenDesktop*, OpenServer*
> >
> >These are "licensed" drivers. The linux driver is free.
>
>    How do you know that the above drivers are developed by Intel? The above
> could easily be OS vendor supplied. It's anybody's guess without the source.

The drivers for SCO are developed by Intel, and bug reports
are usually redirected to Intel. SCO just does build and packaging.
If SCO produces some fixes, they are sent back to Intel as well. I
get occasionally involved in this process and know for sure. Though
I don't know if SCO pays anything to Intel for that, probably not,
considering that Intel loans their hardware to SCO for free.
These drivers contain some code ifdef-ed for Compaq and ICL builds,
so I suppose Compaq and ICL also do their own packagind when
they supply these drivers with UnixWare on their machines.

-SB