Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:59:21 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_collisions

--cf0hFtnykp6aONGL

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 01:19:38AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_elements: 8465
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_elements_max: 336855
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_collisions: 3463061
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_chains: 549
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hash_chain_max: 19
>=20
> Doesn't hash_collisions value look fishy?
> I haven't looked at the code yet.  Perhaps stats gathering is not correct,
> perhaps something else, but collisions value is really too high for my ta=
ste.

The hash_collisions counter is increased every time we try to add buffer
to the list and something is already there. I think more important
counter here is hash_chain_max, which contains maximum number of buffers
on one list ever recorded. And 19 doesn't seem like a big number.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--cf0hFtnykp6aONGL

--cf0hFtnykp6aONGL--