Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:19:52 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Commercial vs built in firewall capabilities of FreeBSD

After looking around a lot of the firewall sites and browsing through the
firewall list archives, I am still not entirely clear what a commercial
firewall costing $10K U.S. would give me over the basic firewalling
capabilities in FreeBSD combined with sshd, NAT, proxy servers and or SOCKS
v5...  Although VPN would be a very nice feature to have to link up remote
offices, if this is not necessary, should we reccomend to the client to go
out and spend $10K on a commercial firewall solution as opposed to a
FreeBSD box ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *