Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:44:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package management (was Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two, will ya ?)

Peter Jeremy lists some good requirements for a package facility.

Would it be (sufficiently) useful to also suggest that the content
of a package ought to be able to be re-packaged (reasonably
straightforwardly)?  The objective would be to be able to take a
package, install it somewhere, figure out what sort of site-specific
costomizations are appropriate, then re-package it for a given
site's use.

I did something like this for a client once, using Solaris 2.x's
tools, and making a "packaged" version of then-current sendmail
(so they could have installation of the sendmail package as one of
the final stages in a JumpStart installation).

Naturally, I documented how to re-make the package, so when they wanted
to migrate to the next release of sendmail, it wouldn't be too painful.
(Yes, the information I wrote up is retrievable, in case anyone wants
it.)

My perspective, here, is as a sysadmin of several machines; I readily
understand that folks adaministering a small number of machines would
probably find this of less interest.  For that matter, things that would
install on a network-visible device (as we have /usr/local/*) would also
fail to get all that much benefit from this consideration.

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168