Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:26:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        Chris <chris@ogden.sd27.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Config.

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Chris wrote:

> I think that I know why FreeBSD can't find my card when it probes the ISA
> bus. I have a PCI card :) Here are the specifics on the card.
>
> SMC EZ Card 10 PCI
> IRQ 3
> I/O 1420-143F
> It just uses a regular windows driver when I use it in windows.
>
> I tried using the Generic kernel but it still didn't recognize the card,
> but during the boot sequence it said:
> Probing PCI Bus:
> ed1: <NE2000 Ethernet <RealTek>> IRQ 255
> And then it went on to probe the ISA bus etc...
>
> However after it finished booting I checked /dev but there was no sign of
> ed1. Hope that is a little bit more info for you and thank-you once again
> for your help :)

Well ethernet cards don't have /dev/entries IIRC.  In your kernel config
you need the line
device ed0 at pci?
and rebuild the kernel.
When you reboot it should shhow up as ed2 but confirm this.  In your
/etc/rc.conf you should have an ifconfig_ed2 (assuming it is detected as
2) and once you have that set correctly, just reboot and you should be
ready to go.

 --
Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician