Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:03:15 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@earthlink.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD branches stats

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:47:24 -0500
Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org> wrote:

> On Friday 20 October 2006 07:33, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > > http://bsdstats.org/releases.php
> >
> > Hmm, these stats look garbled to me. There are even some
> > nonsensical data - versions 1.x and 9.x.
> >
> > My suggestion is to the creators of bsdstats to group version
> > numbers by OS type (FreeBSD/NetBSD/others) since the current
> > display seems unusable.
> >

> Personally I've never had a very high opinion of the whole bsdstats
> thing.  And while the merits of the whole thing might be debatable I
> think it's pretty obvious that the implimentation of it is poor at
> best.

I think the page referenced may include "release" numbers from all
the reporting machines regardless of operating system.

Better numbers from the relatively small sample can be found at

	http://www.bsdstats.org/freebsd/releases.php

which tally up to the totals for FreeBSD listed on the main page.
I find the number of 2.x systems a little puzzling though.  The
rest seem somewhat reasonable to me.

I think seeing what hardware is being used is interesting and may
have some future benefits but as it stands, I think there is some
abuse by script kiddies going on.  I'm sure things will improve as
it progresses if Marc continues to work on it.

Randy