Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:01:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Bug in userland PPP LQR?

At 12:41 PM 7/14/2007, Brian Somers wrote:

>> disable lqr
>> allow lqr
>
>accept lqr
>
>> enable echo
>> echoperiod 12
>
>set echoperiod 12

Yes, found and fixed both of these mistakes.

>I'd also add "set log +lqm" to your configuration.

Will try that.

>I expect unacknowledged LQR packets to be resent
>5 times (exactly the same packet), and the 6th
>timeout to cause a line drop.

That's what I thought too. But it seems as if a
single dropped packet among plenty of successful
ones can cause the session to drop. This is
why I am wondering if the counter is properly reset
or if one missed packet leads to a permanent loss
of synchronization.

>The spec says that the peer may ignore an LQR
>request if it's under load, but that it must
>respond to a duplicate LQR request.  My suspicion
>is that some implementations just ignore LQR
>altogether under load.  These implementations
>should disable LQR if they can't implement it
>properly.

I'm mostly dealing with the Linux pppd or ports of it
on the clients (since it seems to be the most popular
open source implementation, regardless of quality).

--Brett Glass