Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 03:57:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org (Andrew N. Edmond), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 2.1-stable to 2.1.5?

: I am starting at 2.1-stable (May 17th) and really want to get the damn
: Excite Search running on my WWW server, but I need 2.1.5 to run BSDI 2.0
: binaries in a stable fasion (if at all).

: However, I have modified the /usr/src/ tree pretty heavily for security
: reasons and just really need to update the kernel.  Is this possible?

 Umm... well you can try :)  There are situations where userland changes
 have been incorperated to reflect kernel changes.

 For example, some of the ip firewall code might have changed, requiring
 update on the ipfw, or more commonly the kernel structures might have
 changed (libkvm) requiring a recompile of ps,w,top etc.

 If your going to modify the tree a lot then thing about using CVS.
 You can then have your own branches, and checkout/merge changes
 from the freebsd team over your changes...

 A place to start would be to grab the commit logs and check everything
 commited to "sys" after May17th on the RELENG_2_1_0 tree.   See what
 might have changed to make the big "BSDI" difference, and fix your
 local tree appropriately.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds