Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 17:56:23 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        des@ofug.org, kenm@icarz.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ixkatl@yahoo.com, jeckermann@verio.net
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

> meaningless, irrelevant to the issue, or both.  MySQL is still a toy.

Define 'toy' - the usual meaning of the word implies that it has no
useful purpose. Arguing that mySQL is not an RDBMS is reat, and anyone
with half a brain will aree with you. Arguing that it has no usefulness
in any situation is not a valid conclusion to draw fromthis - unless you
are so narrow minded that you think computers are only good for RDBMS
systems.

The underlying filesystem has no support for RDBMS facilities either.
This does not mean that it is an unsuitable place to store data, nor does
it mean that fopen(), fclose() etc are 'toys' and unsuitable for writing
real systems with.

Preseumably you also consider 'dbm' and friends to be toys as well for
similar reasons ?

There is a useful skill known as "programming" which enables people to
build systems on top of already supplied facilites. mySQL provides a set
of facilities that extend what flat files provide and are useful to
certain people build certain types of system. If you find that you cant
live wthout transactional support then you are a poor programmer (there
are ways to program around them). On the other hand it may well be
a lot more cost-effective if you need them to move to an Oracle platform
so you can devote brain power to doing  more useful things that overcomming
shortcommings of your chosen data storage platform.

We have a website that needs fast access  to a big list of data, mainly
read only. For that we use mySQL. The financial stuff goes
into an Oracle database sitting on an OpenVMS system at the backend.
We could use the Oracle for the frontend, but it would be slower, much
harder to program (there are no Oracle libraries existsing for the web
development environment we are using) and extortionately expensive
as Oracle dont provide sensible lisenses for the VMS versions of their
products (despite this being the most stableplace to run them).

In short maybe you should learn something about using the apoprorpiate
tool for the job - and not denigrating other tols just because they
are unsuitable for *your* job.

-pcf.