Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:46:44 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Rich Webster" <RWebster@tns-inc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie IP question

On 16 Apr 99, at 14:54, Rich Webster wrote:

> I have installed a BSD box twice now and it seems to work fine.  I can
> ping and use IP to do whatever I like from the machine.  However I can not
> ping it or access it from another machine.  I am using a ten net address
> with the default class c mask.  I notice that if I run netstat -r that
> while netstat is running the BSD box is pingable from another machine.  I
> can ftp to the machine.  When netstat -r stops I lose my connection.  What
> is happening here?  This is a fresh install.  Do I need to tell the BSD
> box who it can trust to respond to?  Please e-mail you answer to me at
> rwebster@tns-inc.com.   Thank you very much in advance.  I've been playing
> with this for a while and am now pretty frustrated.

There a few things you need to do here.

1 - make the FreeBSD box a gateway.
2 - enable ip alaising on the FreeBSD box
3 - make the FreeBSD box your default gateway on your other boxes.

To do this you need:

see http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/alias.htm

I am assuming you are using PPP.  If not, then please complain.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary