Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:44:39 -0500
From:      Brian Martinez <marti259@pilot.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail errors

Hi All,
First of all, let me say "Yes, I read the Sendmail FAQ" and my question
is one of the most answered questions.  I am running FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
and these are test hostnames.  I am testing on this box, and then moving
an outdated FBSD 3.2 box over to this one.  In addition to one other
box.  The outdated box runs sendmail 8.9.3, and I have never had any
problems like this.  Both of my 4.2-STABLE boxes are having this issue.
Now here is a transcript of my errors, and my (poor) interpretation of
the issue at hand.

553 5.3.5 mlss27.cl.msu.edu. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)
554 5.3.5 <marti259@mlss27.cl.msu.edu>... Local configuration error
=== End Transcript ===
cloudcity.cl.msu.edu is a nickname for mlss27.cl.msu.edu (that shouldn't
be important, but I'm just mentioning it, that I have aliased domains
listed on the DNS server)

Okay, in the FAQ it says that I have "asked mail to a domain (e.g.,
domain.net) to be forwarded to a specific host (in this case,
relay.domain.net) by using an MX record, but the relay machine doesn't
recognize itself as domain.net.  Add domain.net to
/etc/mail/local-host-names"

Well, I created that file and put in "cloudcity.cl.msu.edu"  Rebooted,
still the same problem.  One thing I'm curious about, is I don't recall
asking sendmail to forward any mail to a specific host, this is a out of
the box Sendmail 8.11.1.

Another item in the FAQ says "When relay.domain.net is a secondary
(etc.) MX, and the MX mistakenly points to a CNAME or other
"non-canonical" name [this gives "config error: mail loops back to me
(MX problem?)"]. The proper fix is to point the MX at the actual name, a
"work-around" to add the MX target to class w. "

That's all fine and dandy, but how do I add the MX target to class w?
What's class w?  And also, I a.) never asked sendmail to forward mail to
a certain host, and b.) am not aware of having a secondary MX (let alone
one).

There is one line that I read somewhere that said add your domain name
to the Cw line in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf  I tried that, and that still
did not work.  The line currently reads:
Cwlocalhost    but at one point read:
Cwlocalhost cloudcity.cl.msu.edu

I'm completely lost on this issue, I apologize for being confusing, but
I can try and explain it better if you wish to help me :)

Also I have this to contribute, if it is any help:
> echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> [fe80:7::1]
cloudcity
[35.9.4.127]
[fe80:1::250:4ff:fe7a:c938]
cloudcity.cl.msu.edu
localhost
[::1]
[127.0.0.1]
cloudcity.cl

Thank you very very much for any information, or pointers on where to
look.  I appreciate it very much!!
./brm