Date:      Sat, 2 Jul 2011 01:55:41 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any software tools known for XBRL & PDF V1.6 & 1.7 ?

> Anyone know of public domain source that does XBRL format (&/or iXBRL) ?
> & PDF V1.6 & 1.7 ?

XBRL:

http://arelle.org (python-based)
http://www.xbrlapi.org/ (java-based)
http://code.google.com/p/xbrlware/ (community edition; ruby-based)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inlinexbrl/

> I received PDF 1.6 & 1.7 files from companieshouse.gov.uk (that I
> suppose relate to, or contain XBRL), that contain financial data
> I'm supposed to edit & return.

What do your compatriots have to say about open-source options?

> The only tool I know to do that is, a free download of latest binary
> Acrobat for Linux or MS-Windows, (so emulator needed too).
>
> I've found no source in FreeBSD ports that can handle 1.6 & 7 PDFs,
> Anyone know of source, whether ported to FreeBSD yet or not ?

Which version of ghostscript did you use with some of the tools that
you mentioned? print/ghostscript9 claims to support PDF <= 1.7,
although it almost probably doesn't support every option/extension.
Could you use it to transform the pdf to a format that could be edited
or at least annotated (postscript, perhaps?) by one of the other
tools, at least as an intermediate step? Or, have you tried a recent
version of devel/itext?:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/itext/files/

b.