Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 20:19:13 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: no subject (file transmission)

> > I'm a fan of OS/x and Pyramid dual universe stuff (which I will add to
> > Freebsd -- think universe bsd and universe gnu/linux) and EVEN I think ONE
>
> Yuck!  That was a total kludge, and Apollo's variant symlinks a far
> more powerful/flexible approach (plus you don't have an extra
> "universe" command, you just set environment variables - principle of
> least surprise).  Please don't perpetuate that system! :-(
>
> > 2.  Declare the BSD method (the REAL original crontab) the winner.
>
> I think this is probably our best bet.

I have a Pyramid Granite Pen on my desk and the scars to go with it. I still
prefer the dual crontab as it now exists. Vixie did a good job. It's easy for
root to edit /etc/crontab and make all sorts of friendly things happen
for different users. It's also easy to administer a multi-user cron
environment. A little reading of the man pages, man crontab, man 5 crontab,
and cat /etc/crontab goes a long way toward understanding why the current
cron is a good one. Don't fix what ain't broke. Fix documentation if
necessary.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good