Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   only 8 chars of password needed to login

I have a problem with user's passwords on my
system. I'm not sure if it is an error in my
setting up FreeBSD, or a security hole.

What happens is, I set a password for a user
that is 10chars long. But, when I login, I can
just enter 8chars and anything after that, or just
the 8chars and it will let me log in.

This also happens with su and the root password.

My hunch is that I should use a different
encryption scheme for /etc/master.passwd

However, I don't know how to do that.

I am running:
FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on a p90.

When I installed FreeBSD with sysinstall, I told
it "yes" to install the md5 encryption package
(I believe it was md5, I'm not quite sure)
And I installed all the encryption packages
available.

Please help me solve this problem.

--bhishan