Date:      Fri, 03 Feb 95 08:38:03
From:      "Bloom, Jim" <jbloom@sungardfs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Boot Problems

I am having problems booting FreeBSD 2.0 (CDROM from Walnut Creek CDROM).  I am
able to boot with the boot floppy and run FDISK & DISKPART successfully.  When
fsck is run, the disk driver goes into a loop saying that it is waiting for an
operation to start.  I also ended up with my DOS partition on the beginning of
the disk being corrupted.

When the system is booting, it detects the hard drive correctly and prints out
the disk configuration matching the one stored in the BIOS.  It also prints out
a message saying that the partition table indicates the disk has 64 heads and
that that BIOS number is going to override the partition table.

The relevent parts of the system configuration are that I have an on-board
enhanced IDE disk controller, 1.08 GB Western Digital hard drive (2210(?) cyl,
16 head, 63 sectors/track according to the BIOS).

Any help with resolving would be appreciated.

Jim Bloom
jbloom@sungardfs.com