Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:28:10 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Peter Kok <cckok00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernal log messages

[ Format recovered.  Please read http://www.lemis.com/questions.html. ]

> I just receved following messages.  I would like to know what are
> the meaning:
>
>  Aug 11 17:34:57 its inetd[3387]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line
>  30: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(axrxt.stp.lt, AF_INET)
>  failed
>
>  Aug 11 17:35:02 its inetd[3391]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line
>  30: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(axrxt.stp.lt, AF_INET)
>  failed
>
>  Aug 11 17:35:04 its inetd[3391]: refused connection from
>  193.219.52.204, service ftpd (tcp)

It looks like DNS for that domain had some kind of problems.  For me,
right now, 193.219.52.204 resolves to axrxt.pfi.lt, not axrxt.stp.lt.
I can't get find any entry for axrxt.stp.lt at all.  It appears for
you that the address resolved to axrxt.stp.lt, and an IP address for
axrxt.stp.lt couldn't be found.  Since you have wrapping turned on in
inetd, it dropped the connection as bogus.  See inetd(8) and
hosts_access(5).

> 1/ What is 193.219.52.204 purpose?

It's the source address of a machine that tried to connect to your FTP
service.  Since it appears its DNS was screwed up, and you had
wrapping turned on for inetd, its connection was dropped and logged.

> 2/ Why does it try ftp to my server?
> 3/ What do they want?

Those are questions for the owner(s) of 193.219.52.204, not me.

> 4/ what is meaning getaddrinfo, AF_INET

getaddrinfo is a function that does protocol-independent
hostname-to-address translation, and AF_INET is (basically) sockets
programmer lingo for IPv4.  See getaddrinfo(3) and/or any book on Unix
network programming.

> 5/ why did try ftp instead of telnet to my server if they want to do
> sth?

That depends heavily on what "sth" means.

Good luck,
Lucas