Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:28:32 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Novak" <pr0cy0n@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   getting a pcmcia ethernet card to work in FreeBSD

 Hi everyone.

 This is my dilema. I am setting up a compaq presario 1245 notebook with
4.2, the system has 32mb ram, AMD k-6 32x MHZ cpu, 4.2 GB HDD, a lousy
winmodem. The pcmcia ethernet card is a SMC EZ PCCARD 10
(SMC8022). The brain teaser about all this is that I have had success
getting the NIC to work just fine under Slackware 7.1, RedHat 6.2, 7.1,
Mandrake 7.2, and Suse 7.1. The internet connection is with ATT@HOME using
variations of dhcpcd/pump/dhclient, basicly whatever the particular distro
uses for a dhcp client connection, and they all work.

 After doing 'a lot' of reading it looks like I will need to recompile the
kernel and make a device node in /dev. The trouble is that after carefull
review of LINT, and some man pages, I can't quite figure out what I should
be calling the card in my new kernel, and what the correct procedure would
be to make the device node in /dev.

 A kernel example with the correct entries would be most helpfull.

 If anyone has had a similar experience with this scenario I would greatly
appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

 On a final note; if it helps anyone, it looks like this pcmcia ethernet
card is the exact same card as the Novell NE2000, just a different label and
box.

 Thanks in advance.

Jeremy