Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:01:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
To:        "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtio for 9.1-R

Hi,

<trim>

> What's the actual reallife performance benefits from virtio?
>  Twofold,
> threefold, more, less?

A magnitude or more. I can push 6-7Gbs through vtnet vs. <400Mbs with
the emulated e1000. The best advice of course is just to try it out
in your environment. It may not matter depending on your needs.

IIRC, I could get Linux VirtIO to do 8-9Gbs in the same setup. I hope
to close that gap with my upcoming work.

Bryan