Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 23:55:40 GMT
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@networx.ie>
To:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot: /kernel gives "Invalid format!"

Please don't stop reading this email because it
sounds like I don't know how to build a new
kernel.  I've done this many times before on
other machines with no problems.  Now, please
read on...

This seems somewhat like a stupid question, but
maybe someone can help me out.

I am trying to build a new FreeBSD 2.0 kernel on
a Gateway 2000 P5-120 tower.  It has a WD 1GB
drive as wd0, a Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM on a secondary
IDE controller (which doesn't get recognised by
the kernel) and a 1GB disk and 4x CD-ROM on an
Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller.

The only changes I've made to the GENERIC config
file are
(a) Change the "ident" argument to the name of my
host "ident GENERIC" to "ident SAURON".
(b) Change the "driver ed1" IRQ to 9 and remove the
"ioaddr xxxx" argument, as it's an NE2000 and doesn't
have on-board RAM.

The kernel build goes fine - no problems.  I move the
new kernel to the root and reboot.  Then I get:

Boot: /kernel
Invalid format!

I can boot from /kernel.old fine.

Does anyone know why this kernel can't load.  By the
way, this is a fresh installation onto this disk and I've
installed and rebuilt FreeBSD 2.0 on other machines
with absolutely no problems.

Is my machine sick?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike