Date:      Tue, 12 May 2015 21:29:36 +0300
From:      Andrey Fesenko <f0andrey@gmail.com>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: EFI boot loader regression?

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in posting this.  Attached is my latest work on the
> boot block.  It includes numerous debugging messages.  You should be
> able to tell if it gets all the way through the first stage, or where it
> stops if it doesn't.
>

> For everyone else, these are the outstanding issues I still need to address:
>
> * I'm currently (ab)using the UEFI pool allocator as a malloc-like
> mechanism.
>
> * The partition scan completely ignores the GPT labels, and tries to
> probe every single partition for every single filesystem.
>
> * Need to work out argv-style options for the UEFI loader, and have the
> boot block construct and pass in an argv array.
>
> Any other comments are welcome.
>
> On 04/24/2015 02:35 PM, Eric McCorkle wrote:
>> What kind of laptop are you using, and did you update your BIOS in there
>> anywhere?
>>
>> I'm actively working on the UEFI boot block.  I will post a patch with
>> extra debugging messages added, which will hopefully help track down the
>> problem.
>>
>> On 04/24/2015 12:50 PM, Andrey Fesenko wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm use system with EFI boot loader on Lenovo X220.
>>>
>>> Old EFI loader work fine if BIOS set any boot priority UEFI or Legacy first.
>>>
>>> Starting around December last year, system not boot if set UEFI boot first.
>>>
>>> http://bsdnir.info/files/efi/ screenshots and working version boot loader
>>>
>>> For the cleanliness of experiment, as a new loader I downloaded and
>>> test FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20150421-r281832-memstick.img

Hello, I'm test this patch with r281381 build sucess. Now work boot
priority Legacy first, with UEFI first loader not found.
There diagnostic messages, but unfortunately, they take more than two
screens and almost unreal to see even at 50fps video recording

After https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/boot/efi/boot1/Makefile?r1=282474&r2=282727
seems to need additional changes, I corrected reloc.c to self_reloc.c
but the image obtained is not loaded, though and with diagnostic
messages.