Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:32:53 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        John Kelly <mouth@ibm.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 03:14:51PM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> Recent changes to user PPP have put it in an unusable state for me.
> Although it's true that kernel PPPD works fine, user PPP is a highly
> visible piece of the system since so many people are likely to use it.
>
> I hope that you wait until 2.2 is more stable before cutting the 2.2.5
> release.  I wouldn't want a CD where user PPP is not working right.

User PPP works right... just "differently" than before. A specific
reference to the different behaviour should be noted on the CD of course,
but I think userland PPP is quite stable and working better than ever.

When I unwittingly ran the new PPP for the first time, it exited with
the "must be user ID 0" thing, after which I quickly man'ed PPP and
read about the new behaviour. It would be nice to add
"... user ID 0 (root)" to the error message though, since there might
be newbies that don't equate userid 0 to the root login...

cya,
-Mark

> John

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
"The newest book, The Dilbert Future, took a broader view, describing how
idiots will threaten every aspect of business, technology and society in
the future."	--Scott Adams