Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:27:54 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        atk2@arctic.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, gabriel@maquina.com
Subject:   Re: UDMA performance suggestionsRe: Athlon XP with NVIDIA AGP problem

> > So the only issue left is freebsd (I have not tried atacontrol which I will
> > try tonight).
>
> certainly seems like the easiest thing to do, i agree on that case....

atacontrol doesn't exist on 4.5-RELEASE but he can use
sysctl.ata_modes which should be "dma,---,pio,---" or
something like it.  sysctl ata.ata_dma should be 1.

I will also second your recommendation to check all the
relevant hardware carefully in spite of what the BIOS says.

If all else fails, he should post dmesg output and may be that will
joggle someone's memory!