Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 00:46:46 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: load related problem or my compilation ?

   >mid-fligth.  I have had similar panic problems with a slow (38.4k) leased
   >line which certainly does not loose carrier, and it panics sometimes,
   >usually when a load peak suddenly arrives after idling (start up a heavy X
   >program or like).

   Hmm.. Are you using Bruce's cy driver?

On the leased line no, on terminal servers yes.  I don't know for sure if
the problems are same.

   I have this vague recollection that his cypoll and siopoll hooks are
   launching into the tty sybsystem code at splsofttty().  I am not sure,
   but I dont think that splsofttty() would mask the networking code,
   which could mean that it might be possible for the networking code to
   be started up on the return from some hardware interrupt that had
   preempted the tty code.

The mbuf is taken within splimp(), and then accessed outside it after
taking it (in ppp_dequeue).  I don't have the kernel experience to tell
what should be done.

   I wonder if what you are seeing is the cypoll() call to pppstart() being
   interrupted by networking code, which is manipulating the mbuf
   pointers?

Check out the dumps, they will probably tell you more than I can tell you
:-)

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN