Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:59:07 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Documentation WAS: pkg question ....

On Aug 5, 2014, at 16:51, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> Please understand that "modern" software does not come with
> manpages anymore.

Thank you for putting =93modern=94 in quotes.

> Documentation, _if_ it actually exists, is
> scattered across the web.

And we know how much we can trust what we find =93on the web=94.

> You'll find it in discussion forums,
> blogs, user home pages, and wikis. Sometimes, there's something
> in /usr/local/share, but don't bet your money on it... :-)

And that was (and is) one the reasons I have chosen FreeBSD for my =
production systems. And I mean that is a very positive way. The =
documentation, all of it, not just the man pages, for FreeBSD is very =
much supper to what one can find for many other =93modern=94 operating =
systems <cough, cough, Linux>.

I originally cut my teeth on SunOS / Solaris (not counting the time I =
spent with C/PM, Basic, Cromix, AmigaDOS, =85) where man pages were all =
available but NOT part of the core installation, they were included in =
the =93Developer=94 tier :-) So I am used to being able to type =93man =
<almost anything>=94 and getting useful information (often way too much, =
try `man sh` sometime). So I am spoiled in that regard.

On concrete example of how the FreeBSD documentation beats the pants off =
of Linux (I forget the distro right now). I had a server running FreeBSD =
with VirtualBox for virtualization. I had both FreeBSD and Linux VMs. =
There was a problem where the boot block on the VM was damaged. By =
looking in the FreeBSD Handbook I was able to find the boot process =
documented, this enabled me to reconstruct the boot block fairly =
painlessly. I had the same issue happen with a Linux and VM and finding =
the details of *how* the system boots was like pulling teeth. One =
document just referred to another and round and round. The documentation =
for GRUB, especially GRUB2, is particularly cryptic *if* something is =
going *wrong*. Of course the short answer is always to just =93read the =
source code=94, which, as anyone who is not intimately familiar with =
that particular piece of code can tell you, is almost useless.

In my opinion, documentation is one of the signs of professional, mature =
software. Thank you to all the varied FreeBSD people who have =
contributed to the stores of official (or at least semi-official) =
documentation available.

> No, seriously: Most desktop environments don't have manpages.
> Few programs have, because nobody reads them. Still there are
> some exceptions, like "man opera", "man openoffice", "man xmms"
> or "man gmplayer". On the other hand, try "man firefox", "man kde"
> or "man grip=94.

There can be good reasons to *not* include a FULL man page for a =
graphical tool, but at the very least the command line options and =
arguments ought to be documented. Even if the man page is not more than =
a glorified version of <command> =97help. But putting the FULL =
documentation in a man page is really silly (see my earlier reference to =
the man page for sh; or bash, or see or awk or =85) There have been =
entire *books* written on the use of sed, awk, and even sh (see the =
O=92Reilly Nutshell books for great examples), putting *all* you can do =
with sed in a man page is overkill.

> On one of my older systems where I have XFCE 3 installed, when
> I type "man xfce", do you know what happens? A manpage appears!
> You can see: Sometimes, someone made a decision not to maintain
> manpages anymore and instead concentrate on software features,
> look & feal, following the most recent Linux development and
> just coding along. This is a _valid_ decision, even though a
> minority of 0.01% of the users might not appreciate it. ;-)=20

I understand that developers want to develop and not write manuals. And =
since most of this is being done for fun, they concentrate on the fun =
parts. I actually think that for many man pages the number of people who =
use that function (program, configuration file, etc.) that would like a =
good man page is much higher than your 0.01% number. I am thinking =
mainly of system admin functions that most end users never even think =
about, but let the automated install scripts handle for them.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org