Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 01:20:00 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

In message <199507232028.GAA21623@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans
    writes:

>It's not nice to have to specify the speed in more than one place, but
>I regard that as a bug in getty or gettytab.  getty thinks it owns the
>line, but it doesn't if the dialout devices are used.  gettytab is
>unsuitable for general use.  The database for the initial settings is
>best maintained by the driver.  We already have good access methods,
>e.g., `stty -g' :-).

>I don't like this.  getty would also have to open the _lock_ device
>to remove any locks (or perhaps to skip clobbering the initial state
>if it is locked).  The initial and lock devices are supposed to be
>unknown to ordinary applications so that bugs in the applications
>can be worked around and so that the applications don't become more
>unportable.

I agree with it too, it is just different strategy.
My proposal #1 from previous message replaces with following one:

1) Initial devices should be documented in
getty/gettytab manpages as mandatory to obtain working serial getty.
(I can't do it by myself due to my english).

My proposal #2 from previous message _still_active_:

>>2) We additionly need to restore
>>initial serial settings in sio.c in comhardclose(), i.e. call
>>comparam(com->it_in) there.

>>I think that getty don't play role here. Most modern modems are
>>able to sense local interface speed somehow, maybe initial
>>connect handshake involved or other tricks, I don't know
>>exactly.

>It can't possibly depend on anything except signals on its RX line, and
>getty is in complete control of those (unless there are bugs).  I'm
>assuming an external modem.  For an internal modem emulating a 16x50,
>the current 16x50 setting should apply.

I mean external modem too. So only initial connect handshake left for
speed determination (getty not control it at all :-)

>I hope this is not necessary.  Wait until I have committed lots of other
>tty changes anyway.  There are 5 currently h/w tty drivers and at least
>3 more are scheduled, and only 2 of them even support initial state
>devices :-(.  The others normally inherit the speed from the previous
>open, so it is more likely to be correct if only getty uses the line,
>but certain to be incorrect (9600) for the first open and easier to mess
>up if callout devices are supported.

Right now I not plan to make any tty or getty changes, just one neccessary
change in comhardclose(): add comparam(com->it_in) there, do you agree
with that?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -