Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:14:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
To:        David Aronchick <aronchick@archegenesis.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum vs Adaptec AIC 7890?

> I wasn't sure what you meant by ARRE or AWRE in this case either, and I
> couldn't find them in the vinum docs. I don't think the kernel panicked, or
> if it did, it couldn't write any logs.  I think the controller just freaked
> out or something.  The worst part is the lack of availability of the
> machine when this happens, anything you could provide that would help me
> fix this would be very helpful.

You mean to say you have built a machine with no serial ports? Go grab
another box and attach the two via a null modem to each other. The
monitoring box should use COM2 idealy, but it's no big deal. The PC to be
monitored should be connected on COM1. Set the monitor to 9600 bps and
whatever port you picked. You can use kermit to log to a file and then
watch or screen to interact with the downed PC, assuming it drops to
debug. Boot the kernel -P and disconnect the keyboard. All /dev/console
activity appears out the serial port. Do test this config before using it
though. You don't want important data spilling out the port without
something to catch it.

---
<kris@nospam.hiwaay.net>    |