Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 01:20:47 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Querying for grown defects?

> >      Thanks, but I've already verified that AWRE and ARRE are set to "1"
> > (they weren't originally, but I did set them via the "-e -P 3" option)..
> > Just last night, I started to get occasional "media errors" (which is
> > what started all this), and I'm trying to figure out if the drive is:
>
> Are the failures on read?  The drive won't automatically slip a sector
> on a read failure without recovered data.

     I believe that they're read failures.  Anyway, the drive seems to
have reassigned the block, as the problem seems to have "gone away" (it
was reproducible by editing a particular file, but no longer).

> I have a program that will use REASSIGN BLOCKS to reassign the blocks.
> Let me know if you want it and I'll send it.

     Thanks, but I don't think I'll need it.  I hunted down the SCSI
specs and whacked together a general-purpose perl script that uses
scsi(8) to query for the primary and grown defects list.  [ I'd like to
thank you and Julian for scsi(8)! ]

     Assuming that I got everything right, my disk might be dying --
there are 19 grown defects.  All are on head 10, and the sector numbers
are fairly clustered -- all are either <= 2 or >= 52.  The track numbers
are a bit more varied, though, being between 721 and 1186.  I'll have to
periodically check to see if more defects appear ....

     The next thing to do is to figure out how to find out how many
spare blocks I have left ....

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.