Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:07:24 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty patches

Terry Lambert writes:
> > Funny you should notice that FreeBSD's login.conf implementation has
> > been brought in by David Nugent. :-))
>
> I was only aware of the work by SEF, with the goal toward being
> able to use commercial authenticators, like those supported in
> BSDI, by running the BSDI binaries.

Authentication is only one aspect of login.conf.

> I'm not aware that the current login.conf code is capable of running
> the commercial authenticators... I'd be happy to be corrected.

You're quite correct. The reason that authentication is not
available is lack of information, pure and simple. I'm still
waiting for information from either/both sef and BSDI on it,
and how the API is intended to work. There are quite a few
ambiguities to resolve. Currently login(1) includes the
relevant code to support them, but it is not compiled in.

> As to the login.conf/issue conflict, if the same person is
> doing both code sets, one would expect them to avoid conflicts
> like this.  There is a well define issue file interface in BSDI's
> login.conf.

No, that's an 'motd' file. The issue file is sent before login.conf
can be used since there is no user logged in when getty starts.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/