Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 03:43:00 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        hwr@pilhuhn.de (Heiko W.Rupp)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-stable just hangs

>Hello,
>
>another problem:
>sometimes (at elast 2 times a weak) a p55tp4xe with p90, 32mb Ram,
>2940 , smc elite + just hangs.
>You can still enter commands on any ttys and ptys but as soon as the
>command is to be executed, the machine hangs. pressing reset is the
>only way to get it going again.
>Any hints on debugging this?

   Are you using NFS?
   You need to find out what condition things are sleeping on. You can do this
by adding DDB to your kernel and then when it happens next, escape to the
debugger (by typing cntrl-'print scrn' or cntrl-alt-esc) and then type 'ps'.
This will give a list of processes. Then look at the wmesg column.
Interpreting this information is difficult and can be misleading, however.
There will be one process that starts the problem (and that's the one we need
to know about) and a bunch of others which trip over side-effects of this. The
wmesg/wchans of those processes are what is misleading.

-DG