Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:33:38 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        schmidt@ze.tum.de
Cc:        freebsd@edvax.de, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata controller problem

Regarding this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-October/245862.html

No no NO *NO*!

I wish people would stop recommending this utter garbage.  There is
absolutely no justification behind using the highly convoluted labelling
mechanisms at multiple layers within FreeBSD.  There are 3 (possibly 4)
different "label" mechanisms which do nothing but confuse the user, or
cause other oddities/complexities.  Good grief, there is so much hard
evidence on the mailing lists over the past 5 (maybe even 7?) years
talking about the utter mess that is filesystem/device/geom/blahblah
labels that to recommend this is borderline insane.

The proper way to solve this problem is to user /boot/loader.conf
tie-downs to assign each disk to each individual controllers' device
number (e.g. ada0 --> scbus0 --> ahcich0, or whatever you want).  Please
note I said ahcichX, not ahciX.  Different things.

I have helped others in the past do this; Randy Bush is one such person.

Taken directly from my /boot/loader.conf with a single SATA controller,
but obviously this can be adjusted to whatever you want.

# "Wire down" device names (ada[0-5]) to each individual port
# on the SATA/AHCI controller.  This ensures that if we reboot
# with a disk missing, the device names stay the same, and stay
# attached to the same SATA/AHCI controller.
# http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-March/011036.html
#
hint.scbus.0.at="ahcich0"
hint.scbus.1.at="ahcich1"
hint.scbus.2.at="ahcich2"
hint.scbus.3.at="ahcich3"
hint.scbus.4.at="ahcich4"
hint.scbus.5.at="ahcich5"
hint.ada.0.at="scbus0"
hint.ada.1.at="scbus1"
hint.ada.2.at="scbus2"
hint.ada.3.at="scbus3"
hint.ada.4.at="scbus4"
hint.ada.5.at="scbus5"

See CAM(4) man page (read it, don't skim!) for full details.  Just
please for the love of god do not use labels to solve this.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |