Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:47:41 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Acer UDMA status report

I've done some more experimentation, and it seems that what is happening is
that reads work just fine (I get 13MB/s sustained from my Seagate Medalist
Pro 9140). However, if I do anything that writes to the drive, the interrupt
timeouts start. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, since the UDMA
switches seem to be set correctly, and while Acer's documentation covers the
bits in the registers to set, it doesn't go into detail as to which
registers go together, or if there is anything else needed to make UDMA work
reliably.

PS: I did find a bug in the unit handling for DMA-detected drives. Here
goes:

*** ide_pci.c   Mon Dec 14 00:49:04 1998
--- ide_pci.c.new       Mon Dec 21 03:42:10 1998
***************
*** 1195,1201 ****

        cp = softc.cookies.lh_first;
        while(cp) {
!               if (cp->ctlr == unit &&
                        ((iobase_wd == 0) || (cp->iobase_wd == iobase_wd)))
                        break;
                cp = cp->le.le_next;
--- 1253,1259 ----

        cp = softc.cookies.lh_first;
        while(cp) {
!               if (cp->unit == unit &&
                        ((iobase_wd == 0) || (cp->iobase_wd == iobase_wd)))
                        break;
                cp = cp->le.le_next;

A PR for this will be forthcoming...