Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:25:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Roger P Johnson <hirsh@skypoint.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: corrupt root files system; How to boot from CDROM for fixing ?

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Roger P Johnson wrote:

>     Something happend during the night, and when I came in this morning the
> system booted up into the /stand/sysinstall program.
>
>     Rebooting, here is what I get:
>        changing root device to sd0a
>        WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
>        exec /sbin/init: error 20
>        exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
>        exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
>        /stand/sysinstall running as init

Interesting fallback....!

>     Ok. I try the fixit option. fixit cannot mount the fixit floppy nor the
>     2nd cdrom.

Use the boot floppy, select Fixit, then CDROM.  Stick the LFS CD in there
when prompted and you'll at least have some applications on the
holographic shell.

>          install the core stuff on /, /usr and /var ? Will the installation
>          overwrite my other partions on /home, /u, /source and will they be
>          lost or just as they where ?

It depends on the amount of damage to the filesystem.  You should really
use `fsck -y' to fix everything, at this point it's going to be lost
anyway.  If repeated fsck -y's won't fix things, you'll have to reinstall.

>     Q3:  Can I cpio the whole partions to tape, re-install using the exact
>          same filesystem sizes and restore the partion from the tape ?
>          I am having a hard time cpio'ing say /dev/sd0s2e to tape, if this
>          is even possible. I am missing dump also.

It's on the CD.  You may have to create device nodes to support your tape.
(/ is on an MFS so you can write to it).

Yuck, yuck, yuck.  Got a current backup?