Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:18:02 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
Cc:        Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>, "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaling Apache?

* Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> [000828 12:04] wrote:
> Steve Lewis wrote:

> > > Zues, thttpd, roxen, there's a lot out there that are a lot faster.
> > >
> > > Supposedly Zues is king.
> >
> > Do you happen to know what these do better than apache?
>
> To some, anything that says "threaded" is automatically better.
> Whether it is or it isn't. :)

Let me put it another way:

   Apache sucks for performance, my grandmother (dead) can handle
   load better than apache.

And assuming that I'm naive enough to be in the "threaded is better"
camp is stupid, you should have researched my previous postinging
before making such an incorrect assumption.

> > Does anyone know of a good FAQ or other resource on load balancing with
> > apache?
> >

> There are numerous heavy-use sites using Apache 1.3 as, at the least,
> their main front-end, using reverse proxy to offload requests to
> backend servers, also running Apache. WebTechniques has, I
> believe, such an article.

Sure, if you cluster apache it helps hide the fact that it sucks
for load because then you can have a thousand machines sucking in
tandem.

> Since Apache 1.3 uses preforking, the key is having enough open
> process slots available, enough memory for those processes
> so you don't go into swap, and ensuring that keepalives are
> enabled so that a significant portion of those "simultaneous"
> requests are pipelined.

Yes that works for relatively heavy traffic, but not for extremely
high amounts of traffic.