Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:32:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stesin@gu.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVR4.2MP source code has become available recently?

> > I've hear rumors that the source code for SCO UnixWare 2.1.x
> > is now available from SCO for $500 for educational
> > institutions.
> >
> > Isn't this interesting as a reference?  How do you think?
>
> I have worked on the SVR4 codebase, and there isn't much
> to be learned there.   The Solaris stuff would be a little
> bit more interesting. :-).

The VM code is nearly identical, for what it's worth.  It was part
of the technology trade between Sun and USL.

I believe the FS SMP locking in Solaris is actually done at the
wrong level.  The SVR4 ES/MP 4.0.2 based SMP code from Unisys
did it the right way.  The SVR4 code in UnixWare 2.x used the
Sun model (with a bit fewer macro encapsulations; the Sun
implementation is more aesthetically pleasing), which makes it
hard to use SMP unsafe FS's on Solaris (making it a bugger to
incrementally transition code).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---