Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 11:16:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Emil Mikhles <michles@haven.ios.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Problems

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Emil Mikhles wrote:

> For some reason, FreeBSD 2.1, is not detecting the 96 megs of ram, I
> have. According to top, I only see 64 megs, any ideas?
> thanx

Because of the weird PC AT BIOS (which FreeBSD uses at the initial boot
stage to read in your system's configuration), the BIOS routines only
return a maximum of 64 MB of memory -- so if you have more in your
system, the BIOS doesn't know about it.  This can be worked around by
adding this to the your kernel config file:

options		"MAXMEM=<X>"

where <X> represents the amount of memory you have, in Kbytes.  So, 96 MB
would equal 98304.  then recompile your kernel and reboot.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **