Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:19:17 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Deprecation campaign

Hi,

As some of you may have noticed I have started a deprecation campaign which
should ends at the end of the week.

The main goal is to remove stale ports.

I have been looking category by category (except for languages category by
french) searching for unmaintain ports where I can't find the upstream and
where the distfiles can't be fetch from somewhere else than FreeBSD's
mirrors

Because I know I can make mistakes, the expiration date is set to 2011-05-01
to let users and maintainers the time to save the ports they want to see
kept in the ports tree.

I use ports-mgmt/distilator to select the candidates for deprecation and
then I do a manual checking trying to find new homes, new links and so one.

Please do not hesitate to:
 - double check,
 - take maintainership on one of those ports,
 - propose better messages for deprecation message (for example offering a
maintained alternative to users),
 - propose other ports for deletion

If you are a maintainer that also would be great if you check your own ports
to see if some does need to be deprecated. We have tons of unmaintained (by
upstream) libraries which should one day or another be removed from the
ports tree, gnome-libs for example.

regards,
Bapt

PS for xmms users : don't be affraid I won't try to remove it :) (not this
time :D)