Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:33:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        jim@siteplus.net, hm@hcs.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange 3Com 3C509 probe behaviour

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> Might this be an example of why disabling hints doesn't always make
> things better for the user community?

No, because the user doesn't know about the card's config better than the
card does.  Hints are only useful for devices that can't enumerate
themselves.

Clearly this is a bug in the identification of cards in PnP mode.

I'd love to be able to duplicate this so I can fix it but all my PnP cards
work just fine

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |