Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:23:17 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI-Express support

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>>OK, who are you and what have you done to Scott Long ?
>>>
>>>Scott would never even think about suggesting something like this two
>>>weeks before we lock down the tree for a -stable branching.
>>
>>To answer you and Warner, this is functionality that is optional and has
>>little risk to the existing infrastructure.  John has done a great job
>>with abstracting the low-level interrupt drivers, and this would just be
>>another one of those.  The support would be marked as *experimental*,
>>but with the API in place it would give us more freedom to make it
>>happen.  Intel is pushing really hard to get adoption of this stuff in
>>the small/medium size server area, and 5.x is going to suffer if it's
>>not there.
>

> I *really* want us to get 5-stable branched and moving.  If it is as
> optional as you say now, it can be added downstream once it has been
> baked out in -current.
>
> Please, Let us concentrate on getting 5-stable branched and made
> sensible.

Agreed, and I'm looking for things besides stability that are going to
bite us in the near future.  6.0 likely won't happen for 12-months
after 5.3 at an absolute minimum, and I don't want PCI-E support to
turn into something like Cardbus is with 4.x vs 5.x.

Please trust me that I'll abort this if it turns too ugly.  I'm just
trying to solicit technical advice right now so that if it does happen,
it happens right.

Scott