Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 1995 23:36:27 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Subject:   Re: Preformatted man pages and 2.1.0-950928-SNAP

Hi,

>     Is anyone else having problems with pre-formatted man pages with
> the September snapshot?  man(1) appears to ignore the presence of
> preformatted man pages.  I've created all the cat* directories in
> /usr/share/man and /usr/local/man, man(1) will save the preformatted
> pages in there, but subsequent invocations still produce the
> "Formatting page, please wait" message.  Running catman doesn't help
> either.  All the directories are world-readable and owned by user man,
> group man.  Any ideas?

With 950922 I saw the same problem, but slighly different specifics:
my problem was that /usr/bin/man was a SUID program, owned by user
man while all the xxx/catn directories were owned by user bin.
Running man as root worked, ie it formatted and found the formated
files next invocation, but man failed for joe user.
I 'chown bin /usr/bin/man' and it started to work.

I can't get xman to work properly for joe user.  if run by root
xman asks if you want to save the  formatted file, and does the good
thing.... but if joe user runs xman it never asks joe about saving
the formatted version.  Anyone have a fix for this problem??

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD