Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:55:28 -0500
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pixel corruption in wide xterms

--Sig_/3g8yJwkxZwATFKQhUpb7X_y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:35:45 -0500, Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 12:11:49PM -0500, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> > Since being advised a couple of weeks ago on this list to switch from
> > the xf86-video-i810 driver to the xf86-video-intel driver, I am seeing
> > pixel corruption in xterm windows.
> >=20
> > The pixel corruption consists of collections of lit pixels where there
> > are no characters and, occasionally, also unlit pixels where there are
> > characters.  These corrupted areas scroll with the xterm.  The
> > corruption happens only on wide xterms, seemingly when columns >=3D 158,
> > which is often the case for me as I use a 1600x1200 display and an xterm
> > font size that can fit up to 175 columns in a maximized xterm window.
> > It also seems to happen only at the left of the screen.
>=20
> I think xterm's innocent here, but I am curious.  A few comments which
> may be useful to whoever's responsible for the driver:
>=20
> Does the glitch happen if the xterm isn't positioned at the left-margin o=
f the
> screen?=20
>=20
Yes.

But I notice that it does depend on how many lines of the xterm window
are on the screen.  If I move the window partially off the screen the
problem persists until < 158 columns remain on the screen.  As soon as
157 or less columns are on the screen, the problem goes away, even though
the xterm window is still larger.

> Does this happen in remote xterms, or just the local?
>=20
It also happens if I log into a remote host then run a remote
xterm back to this display.

	-jr