Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:48:33 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS RAIDZ1: resilvering at <17.3M/s => abyssal slow ...

--Sig_/VsbDYHS9F7SJap/dAyzdh_s

Hello out there,

I had to replace a HDD on a RAIDZ1 pool comprised from 4 HDDs, each 3 TB (n=
etto size of
the pool is about 8-9 TB, the used amount is reported to be ~ 6TB).

I just started the rebuild/resilvering process and watch the pool crwaling =
at ~ 18 MB/s.
At the moment, there is no load on the array, the host is a IvyBridge XEON =
with 4 core/8
threads and 3,4 GHz and 16 GB of RAM. The HDDs are attached to a on-board S=
ATA II (300
MB/s max) Intel chip - this just for the record.

Recently, I switch on the "sync" attribute on most of the defined pools's z=
fs filesystems
- I also use a SSD for ZIL/L2ARC caching, but it seems to be unused recentl=
y in FreeBSD
CURRENT's ZFS - this from a observers perspective only.

When scrubbing, I see recently also reduced performance on the pool, so I'm=
 wondering
about the low throughput at the very moment when resilvering is in progress.

If the "perspective" of "zpool status" is correct, then I have to wait afte=
r two hours
for another 100 hours - ~ 4 days? Ups ... I think there is something badly =
misconfigured
or missing.

The pool is not "tuned" in any very sophisticated way, since I trust the ke=
rnels ability
to scale automatically - if I'm not wrong for amd64 ...

Are there any aspects to look at?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

--=20
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder =C3=9Cbermittlung meiner Daten f=C3=BCr
Werbezwecke oder f=C3=BCr die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (=C2=A7 28 Abs.=
 4 BDSG).