Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:08:59 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LKM Interface

>actually.. Doug Rabson did some work to get a kernel linker and module
>design up and running (sys/kern_{module,linker}.c, sys/link_aout.c) and
>it works quite nicely...  utilities to load/unload/stat are kld* in
>/sbin...

Wow.. I didn't realize that this was in current already. :)  How do I
go about converting my PCI device driver to use it?  Also, are there
any plans for a transition to the new module system?  (elf as well?)

>actually...  I'm going to be also redesigning the bus/device system..
>right now each bus has it's own code, and there is no way to easily
>have one bus be attached to another bus (i.e. pci to isa bridge)...
>
>right now my spec so far is:
>http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html
>but it still needs a lot of work...

Have you taken a look at NetBSD's bus code?  They seem to have abstracted
things fairly well..  Also, it might be interesting to look into their
bus dma framework as well.

Chris Csanady