Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 14:35:36 -0400
From:      Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran@rcn.com>
To:        Aaron VanAlstine <aaronvan@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5LD2 motherboard won't boot from HD

Aaron VanAlstine wrote:
> I'm a newbie and I just built my first computer. I successfully loaded
> FreeBSD 6.0 from CD; however, the computer seems to think the CD-ROM is a
> hard drive and is trying to boot from that. During boot-up it auto detects
> the DVD ROM as the Pri Master, and the two HDs as 3rd and 4th Master. When
> it gets to the boot-stage, I get a message ³Reboot and Select proper Boot
> device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.²
> According to the BIOS setup utility the 1st boot device is Intel Striped
> RAID. Yet, when I restart  and hit F8 to select the BBS popup menu, it
> appears that the DVD is still the boot device. I change it to the HD and
> re-boot and still I get the original message above.
>
> The DVD/CD cable is connected to the blue primary IDE on the motherboard and
> the two HD are connected to SATA1 and SATA2. From the Main screen of the
> BIOS setup utility:
>
> -- Primary IDE Master is the NEC DVD RW.
> -- Primary IDE Slave Not Detected,
> -- IDE Configuration is RAID (OnBoard Serial-ATA BOOTROM is Disabled.)
>
> Any ideas on how I can make the system boot from the Hard drive? Thanks!

Try changing your BIOS settings so that your hard drive is the
first boot device, AND/OR change the BIOS settings so that the "first disk"
is the first SATA hard drive (and not IDE).

If that doesn't work, sorry, I can't help further - I've never setup a system
with no parallel ATA disks at all.

Gary