Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 23:05:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: in situ adding/removing devices

As Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> Assumed you have two scsi controllers, or one controller and your
> system disks at a different controller/bus, could FreeBSD
> cope with changing/adding devices on the SCSI bus. Is there a
> way to rescan the scsi-bus and assign the found devices
> into the system?

scsi -r

Alas, it only seems to work for the aha and bt drivers, and for the
latter, most likely only for the non-PCI versions.  Since device
probing is usually done at system initialization time, the probe code
makes several fatal assumptions about the environment it's running in,
for example it turns the adapter driver into polled mode.  I haven't
been able to successfully use it on the ahc driver at work (and i'm
rather surprised that it works flawlessly on the aha and bt drivers at
home :).

Last time we've been discussing this here, the tenor was ``Yes, it
needs to be changed.'' ;-)

--
cheers, J"org