Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 23:49:25 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org, core@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Call for remove setr[ug]id() and setre[ug]id() from libc

Those fuctions never sets real [ug]id which strongly confuse
programs which expect it to do. I.e. most autoconf scripts
find them into library and suppose them to work.
Moreover under some circumstanes they even return 0 instead
of -1, i.e. mimics to working right. There is more backdoors:
saved[ug]id = get[ug]id() is static variable which is
set on first call to setre[ug]id(). It is very depends _where_
you call it for first time.
All this problems give us potential security hole in case f.e.
when real id == root, it is never changed to
user id with this functions, but program assume it done.

I vote for removing this fuctions completely from library
sources, it is only one safe variant, if we can't implement
them in 100%.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -