Date:      Wed, 16 May 2012 19:02:15 -0400
From:      Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 prognostication...

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> w=
rote:
> Umm, it's about as factual as The Onion, except not as funny. =A0FreeBSD
> never had to "jettison two thirds of its code base and start from
> scratch". =A0Apple is not involved in FreeBSD development. =A0No Mac OS X=
 or
> Darwin version "includes" FreeBSD. =A0FreeBSD and Mac OS X will never
> merge. =A0FreeBSD was never acquired by WinDriver Systems or by anyone
> else, although a company named WindRiver Systems (makers of the embedded
> operating system VxWorks, not of Windows video drivers) did at one point
> acquire BSDI, which had previously acquired Walnut Creek CD-ROM, which
> was heavily involved in the early history of both FreeBSD and Slackware
> Linux. =A0The remains of Walnut Creek CD-ROM and BSDI are now known as
> FreeBSD Mall and iXsystems (of PC-BSD and FreeNAS fame).
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no
>
> I was a long-time subscriber to Slackware going back to Walnut Creek CDRO=
M days (Slackware 96 to the best of my memory, but < 3.0).

> I believe FreeBSD Mall and Slackware (store.slackware.com) are connected.=
service ignoring me, thought I was going to have to have my credit card num=
ber changed to jilt Slackware. =A0I noticed the similarity in subscription =
arrangement between FreeBSD Mall and store.slackware.com.

> Slackware package system is geared to binary packages rather than buildin=
g from source, and there is no tracking of dependencies. =A0A package can b=
e installed even if dependencies are missing, and that even happened in Sla=
ckware releases, as I found when I tried unsuccessfully to run gnumeric man=
y releases ago, got the message of missing library. =A0Seeing the better pa=
ckage managers in FreeBSD (ports), NetBSD (pkgsrc, and ported to other (qua=
si-)Unix OSes), and several Linux distributions is what made me not want to=
 go further with Slackware. =A0Multimedia files failing to play may have be=
en due to lack of proper package management.

> Tom

Guess his next claim will be that the kernel was forked from minix,
and userland came from QNX........... some people are just plain....
(biting my tongue)